Monday, July 11, 2005

PLOT HOLE THIS!

Plot holes and twist endings. To me, the story does not have to show everything to the audience. The only time I think there's a plot hole in a story is if something happens for no imaginable reason, or something impossible occurs. But if I look back on the film as a whole, and can say, "Well that could have happened." That's all I need. Some people need to see it tie together, where I just need to know it's possible it could tie together like that in the end without my seeing it. I prefer to let the antagonists do what they would do in real life-hide in the shadows, pull some strings. If you show the audience everything that happens, what good is the story? Are hints necessary? Probably. But even without a hint it works for me, as long as it's plausible.

*********SPOILERS*********(THE USUAL SUSPECTS)


Take for instance, The Usual Suspects. After Keyser Soze is found out, we get a flashback to show how he made up all the stories in the police station. I like that. The viewer is never sure who Keyser really is until the very end. Yet, some say the major plot hole occurs in the last twenty minutes, when Verbal stays behind. They say it makes no sense that he walked onto the boat and ended the lives of those people because he was hiding when Dean Keaton was shot. People forget it's Keysor telling the b.s. story, which is why we see it in his vision-a lie.

Yet constantly, I hear people crying 'plot hole' simply because they want everything spoon fed.

And don't get me started on Mulholland Drive. The story makes sense if you work at it. And I, for one, enjoy that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I rarely turn off a film, but Mullholland got ejected. I didn't get it...

JD said...

To MQ: It's not for everyone, but it tends to clear up the story the more you watch it.

To JDC: You had to inform me Spelling was involved? Blec!