Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I'm Starting To Scare Myself


In a windstorm of activity last night, I had the uncontrollable urge(I can't say that without repeating it, Devo style) to write another Horror script within my ten day program. 7 pages went from keyboard to screen in a half hour. I felt I knew the story inside and out. And it is repugnant. Where has my mind gone? Am I becoming a horror writer? Do I in fact have this much horror inside me? The situation I was thrust into last night, writing a story about something I have never experienced, and it being so difficult to digest, I just wonder where this came from. I had nightmares about it. Yet, I am enthralled, and will finish this macabre opus in my allotted ten days, or die trying.

I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly blood lust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

5 Comments:

John Donald Carlucci said...

I have been there. I hand out a short story to someone and they bring it back saying - How could you write something like this? Ypu're such a nice guy!

I published a short that just flowed onto paper in three days that I could not figure out where it came from. My sister loves my stuff and can't figure out where it hides.

I guess that's a good thing. They can always tell the news reporter that you were always such a nice boy!

JDC

JD said...

Yeah, as they dig up bones in my crawl space!

John Donald Carlucci said...

Yup cause the meat is good eattin.
JDC

The Moviequill said...

My very first attempt at writing was a simple coming of age story (set in an apartment complex with specific circumstances surrounding the main characters). Then I got bit by the Done Deal bug and saw something similar optioned. All I could do was go on to Idea #2, but my fellow writers in my local screenwriter's group loved the original idea and told me not to abandon it. One suggested I make it a horror genre instead, and by jove, why not? I could be dipping my toe in soon.

John Donald Carlucci said...

Good deal MQ

JDC