Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Tom Savini, Generator SFX



Okay, maybe that title is a little bit presumptuous. But I did email him a very complimentary letter lauding his skills, which I really do think are the best out there. Of course, I intercut the praise with some requests for help on my first feature. And like the kindly gent he is, he responded almost immediately. He said

Thanks Jason, and good luck. I would love to help, but can't say when. I am really, really busy.

Probably a nice way of saying no, but hey, at least he responded to a fan, which is more than I can say for some lesser talents. And who knows, he's been known to help out on independent features for young filmmakers almost free of charge.

So I decided to send him a response to his response in which I basically said, "If you have any time in the future, and feel like getting your hands bloodier, than by all means shoot me an email." I then left my contact info., and that was that.

Anyway, that's my brush with what could have been for this very early morning on the 30th of August, as I wait for my wash to dry.

2 Comments:

The Moviequill said...

what is the name of that other famous effects guy? Baker?

JD said...

Yep. Rick Baker. Also, there's Rob Bottin, who's awesome. He did Carpenter's The Thing. But I find Savini's effects are more realistic.