Friday, October 21, 2005

I Have Made A Huge Mistake


I am beginning to find where I fit in terms of story telling. I am a dark human being that finds laughs in some naughty, dirty, bloody places. Yet, I still try to bend my enthusiasm for the Horror/Dark Comedy genre into others to fulfill some type of make believe portfolio I feel I'll need to exhibit to some suited up jerkoff from a Production company you never heard of. I try to outline my Western, it turns apocalyptic, and a free for all blood bath. I try a Rom/Com, but it turns out the reason they get together is to go on a Bonnie and Clyde type rampage, leaving hundreds of bodies in their wake, before exchanging bloody kisses and offing themselves in front of police. I write a coming of age story about a serial killer. I write a short story about a man whose penis is too large, and he is shunned from society(Gargantuman!). He resorts to hookers, since he believes they won't be frightened away..but they are..and he becomes...well, you know the rest.

So there's my problem. I am trying different things, not content with writing horror, but I end up there anyway. Perhaps I need to just accept what I am...a Horror/Black Comedy writer. I don't like to be pigeonholed, especially by my own hand, yet I have to wonder if this isn't how many horror greats start? I mean, does John Carpenter know he is that type of writer? Stephen King? Wes Craven? Dario Argento? They all have done other types of films, especially earlier in their career, yet they seem to flourish when they stay in horror. I wonder if you are what you are is an apt saying?

The bottom line is, should I try and change, or is being so into one genre a bad thing? Maybe I just belong in the dark dankness and not the lightness of happy pappy films? It's a tough process ripping out your soul and finding it's exactly what you knew it was, and nothing more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I will from now on. It just took me this long to realize it's the only genre I really give a shit about.

Anonymous said...

did you get any bites on your penis story? I have one called Living Large... maybe one day we should step up to the urinal and compare notes

JD said...

Nah, people are more disturbed by it than anything. I tell them the premise, and I don't think one person ever requested to read it. Which is kind of the point of the story, really.